Many of us have lot of questions regarding Indian passport renewal or re-issue (it is called re-issue by passport seva kendra due to the subtle difference, read note below) like below. Also, we have another experience from our reader, A G Bhat, in Bangalore. Thanks to him for sharing his experience.
- Do I need Police verification letter for renewal or re-issue ?
- Do I need to get an affidavit from notary
- Do I need to get a letter from someone like SP, District Collector, Military Officer
- Would I need an agent for renewal ? I don’t know the process
So many other questions…In fact, I had the same set of questions. Recently, I had my passport renewed/ re-issued at Hyderabad Passport office without using any agent. Let me share my experience and some insights.
Note: “Renewal and Re-issue are used interchangeably in the article. There is subtle difference. The term renewal is used, if you have a passport with Short Validity Passport (SVP) and you are applying for extending the same. In that case, you will still be getting a new book. Unlike, Re-issue relates to exhaustion of pages, passport reaching the end of 10 year validity. The below experience is for Re-issue, but I have used to the terms interchangeably”
Background : My passport is set to expire in under 6 months and I have renewed the passport before expiry. Set of documents may vary , if expired passport…nevertheless, the process should not change.
Step by Step Process for Indian Passport Renewal / Re-issue:
1. Register Online at Passport Seva Website :
- The very first step is to register yourself with the Passport Website. All you need to do is go to Passport Seva Website and click on ” New User Register”. You need to select the passport office as per your current residential address and register. You need to enter basic details like Name, date of birth, login ID, password, hint question, and register.
- The second thing is to activate your account using the email you get and login.
- After you login, you will see an option called “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport”. Click on that and enter details.
2. Fill Application – What do you need ?
You have two options to fill out application form. It does not matter what you use, both work the same.
- Using PDF form, that can be downloaded and filled offline.
- Using Online form that you can fill it then and there itself.
The recommended option is to use the PDF form as some details may not be present and we have to save info, etc. I also prefer the PDF form option as it is very detailed and clear. Either case, it is the same. You will need the below details to complete the form.
- Your current address details.
- if you are changing any details like adding Spouse info, their info as per document
- Most important, you will need two local reference details : Full Name, Address, Phone Number ( mobile and landline is optional ). These are the reference people that you know in the village/ city/town around your area. This is for police verification, if required.
If you are using the PDF form option, you will need to enter the city/ village you are in and then hit validate and Save, it will ask you to save a file (XML file) and give it a name. You need to upload that file in the section where you just downloaded the PDF form. All the details will be automatically created, you need to verify before saving as you cannot change the details after this step. Of course, you can change them when you are at passport office, if anything wrong.
3. Pay and Book a Slot or Walk –in, Print Application Receipt :
Once your application is created, next step is to check for available slots and then pay for it. There is an option on the website home page to check the slots as well. Anyways, once your application is submitted. you need to select it, for that see below.
- You will have an option on the left saying ” View Saved / Submitted Applications “. Select the application by clicking on radio button. Then you will show options with links to them. You need to click on Pay and Schedule Appointment.
- This will give option for payment, either online or pay with challan. Usually, it is easy to do it online way. Selected Online Payment
- Then you will have option to select the Passport Service Kendra and the time slot. It will show the available time slots options.
- You can select the same and then you will go for payment page. Where you can select your payment option. I used NetBanking and it was seamless.
If you are eligible for walk-in, you can cancel the appointment and then carry that cancellation page, along with the payment receipt page, you will be allowed to walk-in directly during the respective hours.
Once payment is complete, you will have to print the application receipt and carry that with you on the appointment day. It will have a bar code as well, ensure that is clearly printed and it has the payment confirmation info on it. If you find something wrong in the details, make a note, then you can tell the same at passport service kendra.
4. How to identify the list of documents for Passport Re-issue or Renewal :
You have a nice step by step guide to help you identify the list of documents that you need for your passport renewal. If you go to the home page and click on Document Advisor for renewal / re-issue , you will get a form to select options. Based on options it will show the list of documents that you need. These are the documents you will need. NO Additional documents are required. In fact, I called the customer support as well and they said the same list and my experience at Passport seva Kendra says the same. You do NOT require additional documents. Do NOT listen to others.
List of documents you need to carry for Indian Passport Renewal / Re-issue
- You must print out the online form that you printed out with the Application Reference number ( ARN ) and carry with you. It is mandatory to have this document with you.
- Original Old Passport that is expiring or expired
- Same Address as in your Old Passport :
- You do NOT need anything other than photo copy of your passport first page, last page and the page with ECNR info. You will do self-attestation ( your own signature)
- You may carry current address proof like a utility bill or Bank statement or Voter card, etc… see below for some of those documents.
- Change in Address – Different one from your Old passport address
- Just like above, first, last and ECNR page photo copy with self attestation
- Address proof of change in address – Any one of the below is acceptable.
- Any one of the Utility bills like Water, Telephone, Electricity Bills – You need at least for 2 months of which one should be of current year and other should be of previous year.
- Proof of gas connection.
- Ration Card with address .
- Bank Statement for 1 year, Passbook of the bank account with address on it.
- Any of the cards like Adhar card, Voter ID, etc.
- Add Spouse Name, Change :
- If you would like to add your spouse name, carry original and photo copy of your marriage certificate. It is required. You need a photo copy that needs to be self attested.
- If you plan to change any details like names, etc, you need to carry original with photo copy signed by you.
There are other set of documents that you can get off the website. The above are very common ones.
4. When to go to Passport Seva Kendra
If you have got a slot, go at that exact time or 15 min before, no need to go there and sweat. If you are eligible for walk in, you can do that. All the details about process in PSK will be described in next article, see below.
Do I need a Passport Agent ? What value do they add ?
Well, first thing that comes to our mind is do I need an agent to get my passport renewed. Honestly, it is not required. Things have changed quite a bit and the process has been streamlined. You do NOT need an agent. There are many stories that agent might say to you like I will get you slot, etc…but, the fact is that you do NOT need an agent. It is more regulated now, there is nothing that an agent can do. If you are not a literate and need help with filling up online, then you may seek them…I guess you do not need that, you are already reading this article on web 🙂
Check out the next article, exact Process at a Passport Seva Kendra and some key pointers .
Passport Renewal Experience at Bangalore – August 2016
Thanks to A G Bhat for sharing his experience of Passport Renewal in Bengaluru.
My passport had expired three months back. I read the articles in this site and understood the procedure to be followed. After understanding the same clearly, I applied online and selected the slot at Bengaluru (Lalbhag) PSK. I applied on a Saturday and slot was available for very next Monday. However, I opted for a slot on Wednesday which I got. So there was no necessity for me to cancel the same and go for “walk in”. On Wednesday, my time was at 10.45 AM and I went there exactly at 10.30AM.
The process at PSK was exactly the same the Hyderabad PSK explained in this site. Courteous people, proper guidance at every stage, no confusion at all and no hassles. After successfully finishing the entire process I came out from PSK at 11.15AM, in just 30 minutes for whole process. I gave my feedback as “Excellent” for the service but I feel that this is too less a grade. World class experience indeed. Thanks to the vision of the External Affairs Department of Govt of India. And my thanks to all concerned, from Prime Minister and External Affairs Minister to TCS and every one in the PSK.
Along with my wife also had applied for re issue of her Passport. We both selected the same slot and went inside together and we both came out together. She could not believe that such things can happen in our country.