Indian Passport Renewal, Re-issue–Required Documents, Process. NO Need for Agent.
Many of us have lot of questions regarding Indian passport renewal (it is called re-issue by passport seva kendra, read note below) like below.
- Do I need Police verification letter
- Do I need to get an affidavit from notary
- Do I need to get a letter from someone like SP, District Collector, Military Officer
- Would I need an agent for renewal ? I don’t know the process
So many other questions…In fact, I had the same set of questions. Recently, I had my passport renewed/ re-issued at Hyderabad Passport office. Let me share my experience and some insights.
Note: “Renewal and Re-issue are used interchangeably in the article. There is subtle difference. The term renewal is used, if you have a passport with Short Validity Passport (SVP) and you are applying for extending the same. In that case, you will still be getting a new book. Unlike, Re-issue relates to exhaustion of pages, passport reaching the end of 10 year validity. The below experience is for Re-issue, but I have used to the terms interchangeably”
Background : My passport is set to expire in under 6 months and I have renewed the passport before expiry. Set of documents may vary , if expired passport…nevertheless, the process should not change.
Step by Step Process for Indian Passport Renewal / Re-issue:
1. Register Online at Passport Seva Website :
All you need to do is go online and register yourself at the Passport Seva Website . You will be asked to enter some basic Information regarding your current address, if any changes to your current status like Marriage, if you would like to add your spouse name, etc. Just enter the details and save it.
2. Book a Slot or Walk –in :
You will asked to book a slot right after you register. You can do that using the option. You can only book slots when they open. Depending on the Passport Seva Kendra the timings will vary. For Hyderabad, the slots open at 4 PM. You need to visit Passport Seva Kendra Slot Open timings Webpage to get the most updated information. Just search online on the passport seva Kendra page. Typically for renewal/ re-issue, if you do NOT get a slot, do NOT worry. You can walk-in to a passport seva Kendra between 9 and 11 AM for Hyderabad PSK. This information and time can vary by passport seva Kendra. You need to check the website for details. In fact, I got this information when I went to the passport office to get some background information. There is a misconception that walk-in appointments are only for Tatkal, but that is not true for renewals.
3. Identify the list of documents :
You have a nice step by step guide to help you identify the list of documents that you need for your passport renewal. If you go to the home page and click on list of documents required under the section of renewal / re-issue, you will get a form to select options. Based on options it will show the list of documents that you need. These are the documents you will need. NO Additional documents are required. In fact, I called the customer support as well and they said the same list and my experience at Passport seva Kendra says the same. You do NOT require additional documents. Do NOT listen to others.
List of documents for Indian Passport Renewal / Re-issue
- You must print out the online form that you printed out with the Application Reference number ( ARN ) and carry with you. It is mandatory to have this document with you.
Same Address as in your Old Passport
- You do NOT need anything other than photo copy of your passport first page, last page and the page with ECNR info. You will do self-attestation ( your own signature)
- You may carry current address proof like a utility bill or Bank statement or Voter card, etc… see below for some of those documents.
- If you would like to add your spouse name, carry original and photo copy of your marriage certificate. It is required.
Change in Address – Different one from your Old passport address
- Just like above, first, last and ECNR page photo copy with self attestation
- Address proof of change in address – Any one of the below is acceptable.
- Any one of the Utility bills like Water, Telephone, Electricity Bills – You need at least for 2 months of which one should be of current year and other should be of previous year.
- Proof of gas connection.
- Ration Card with address .
- Bank Statement for 1 year, Passbook of the bank account with address on it.
- Any of the cards like Adhar card, Voter ID, etc.
There are other set of documents that you can get off the website. The above are very common ones.
4. Go to Passport Seva Kendra
If you have got a slot, go at that exact time or 15 min before, no need to go there and sweat. If you would like to walk-in, thats even better. I did a walk-in without any appointment. It went fine. All the details about process in PSK will be described in next article.
Do I need a Passport Agent ? What value do they add ?
Well, first thing that comes to our mind is do I need an agent to get my passport renewed. Honestly, it is not required. Things have changed quite a bit and the process has been streamlined. You do NOT need an agent. There are many stories that agent might say to you like I will get you slot, etc…but, the fact is that you do NOT need an agent. If you go online at the time they say as mentioned in website, you should be fine. They go out in first 30 min or so. But, typically for re-issue or renewal you do not need one. You can directly walk-in to the passport seva Kendra in the specified time.
Check out the next article, exact Process at a Passport Seva Kendra and some key pointers .