Indian Passport Renewal or Re-issue Documents list

Indian Passport Renewal, Re-issue–Required Documents, Process. NO Need for Agent.

In Immigration| Visas by Kumar649 Comments

Updated : February 2016  ( The article is updated as per latest changes until February 2016)

Many of us have lot of questions regarding Indian passport renewal or re-issue (it is called re-issue by passport seva kendra due to the subtle difference, read note below) like below.

  • Do I need Police verification letter for renewal or re-issue ?
  • Do I need  to get an affidavit from notary
  • Do I need to get a letter from someone like SP, District Collector, Military Officer
  • Would I need an agent for renewal ? I don’t know the process

So many other questions…In fact, I had the same set of questions. Recently, I had my passport renewed/ re-issued at Hyderabad Passport office without using any agent. Let me share my experience and some insights.

Note: “Renewal and Re-issue are used interchangeably in the article. There is subtle difference. The term renewal is used, if you have a passport with Short Validity Passport (SVP) and you are applying for extending the same. In that case, you will still be getting a new book. Unlike, Re-issue relates to exhaustion of pages, passport reaching the end of 10 year validity. The below experience is for Re-issue, but I have used to the terms interchangeably”

Background :  My passport is set to expire in under 6 months and I have renewed the passport before expiry.  Set of documents may vary , if expired passport…nevertheless, the process should not change.

Step by Step Process for Indian Passport Renewal / Re-issue:

1.       Register Online at Passport Seva Website   :

  • The very first step is to register yourself with the Passport Website. All you need to do is go to Passport Seva Website and click on ” New User Register”.   You need to select the passport office as per your current residential address and register. You need to enter basic details like Name, date of birth, login ID, password, hint question,  and register.
  • The second thing is to activate your account using the email you get and login.
  • After you login, you will see an option called “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport”.  Click on that and enter details.

2.     Fill  Application – What do you need ? 

You have two options to fill out application form. It does not matter what you use, both work the same.

  1. Using PDF form, that can be downloaded and filled offline.
  2. Using Online form that you can fill it then and there itself.

The recommended option is to use the PDF form as some details may not be present and we have to save info, etc. I also prefer the PDF form option as it is very detailed and clear. Either case, it is the same. You will need the below details to complete the form.

  • Your current address details.
  • if you are changing any details like adding Spouse info, their info as per document
  • Most important, you will need two local reference details : Full Name, Address, Phone Number ( mobile and landline is optional ). These are the reference people that you know in the village/ city/town around your area. This is for police verification, if required.

If you are using the PDF form option, you will need to enter the city/ village you are in and then hit validate and Save, it will ask you to save a file (XML file) and give it a name. You need to upload that file in the section where you just downloaded the PDF form. All the details will be automatically created, you need to verify before saving as you cannot change the details after this step. Of course, you can change them when you are at passport office, if anything wrong.

3.  Pay and Book a Slot or Walk –in, Print Application Receipt :

Once your application is created, next step is to check for available slots and then pay for it.  There is an option on the website home page to check the slots as well.  Anyways, once your application is submitted. you need to select it, for that see below.

  • You will have an option on the left saying ” View Saved / Submitted Applications “.  Select the application by clicking on radio button. Then you will show options with links to them. You need to click on Pay and Schedule Appointment. 
  • This will give option for payment, either online or pay with challan. Usually, it is easy to do it online way. Selected Online Payment
  • Then you will have option to select the Passport Service Kendra and the time slot. It will show the available time slots options.
  • You can select the same and then you will go for payment page. Where you can select your payment option. I used NetBanking and it was seamless.

If you are eligible for walk-in, you can cancel the appointment and then carry that cancellation page, along with the payment receipt page, you will be allowed to walk-in directly during the respective hours.

Once payment is complete, you will have to print the application receipt and carry that with you on the appointment day. It will have a bar code as well, ensure that is clearly printed and it has the payment confirmation info on it. If you find something wrong in the details, make a note, then you can tell the same at passport service kendra.

4.     How to identify the list of  documents  for Passport Re-issue or Renewal :

You have a nice step by step guide to help you identify the list of documents that you need for your passport renewal. If you go to the home page and click on Document Advisor for renewal / re-issue , you will get a form to select options. Based on options it will show the list of documents that you need.  These are the documents you will need. NO Additional documents are required. In fact, I called the customer support as well and they said the same list and my experience at Passport seva Kendra says the same.  You do NOT require additional documents.  Do NOT listen to others.

List of documents you need to carry for Indian Passport Renewal / Re-issue

  •  You must print out the online form that you printed out with the Application Reference number ( ARN ) and carry with you. It is mandatory to have this document with you.
  • Original Old Passport that is expiring or expired
  • Same Address as in your Old Passport :
    • You do NOT need anything other than photo copy of your passport first page, last page and the page with ECNR info. You will do self-attestation ( your own signature)
    • You may carry current address proof like a utility bill or Bank statement or Voter card, etc… see below for some of those documents.
  • Change in Address – Different one from your Old passport address
    • Just like above,  first, last and ECNR page photo copy with self attestation
    • Address proof of change in address – Any one of the below is acceptable.
      • Any one of the  Utility bills like Water, Telephone, Electricity Bills –  You need at least for 2 months  of which one should be of current year and other should be of previous year.
      • Proof of gas connection.
      • Ration Card with address .
      • Bank Statement  for 1 year, Passbook of the bank account with address on it.
      • Any of the cards like Adhar card, Voter ID, etc.
  • Add Spouse Name, Change :
    • If you would like to add your spouse name, carry original and photo copy of your marriage certificate. It is required. You need a photo copy that needs to be self attested.
    • If you plan to change any details like names, etc, you need to carry original with photo copy signed by you.

There are other set of documents that you can get off the website. The above are very common ones.

 4.  When to go to Passport Seva Kendra 

If you have got a slot, go at that exact time or 15 min before, no need to go there and sweat.  If you are eligible for walk in, you can do that.  All the details about process in  PSK will be described in next article, see below.

Do I need a Passport Agent  ?  What value do they add ?

Well, first thing that comes to our mind is do I need an agent to get my passport renewed.  Honestly, it is not required. Things have changed quite a bit and the process has been streamlined. You do NOT need an agent.  There are many stories that agent might say to you like I will get you slot, etc…but, the fact is that you do NOT need an agent. It is more regulated now, there is nothing that an agent can do. If you are not a literate and need help with filling up online, then you may seek them…I guess you do not need that, you are already reading this article on web 🙂

Check out the next article,  exact Process at a Passport Seva Kendra and some key pointers .

Related Articles

Comments ( 649 )

  1. Deepak

    Dear sir,
    My passport is going to expire on 24/8/2016. I will be going to Bangalore 1st week of next month. I would like to renew my passport now. Can I make walk-in visit to our Passport Office and can I get the renewed passport by 1st week of next month? Pls advise.

  2. rekha

    sor .. i got remarried after divorce and now i want to change my surname,adress, husband name my pasport has already been expired 5 yrs back and we havent got the marriage certificate made..can i just apply for the new pasport without mentioning my old pasport as i have my adhar card made with my new adress and name.. plz plz guide me. thanks in advance

  3. Abhay Sharma



    Is it necessary to carry our old passport as i have renewed it & now i have new passport.
    & what if we have miss placed our Old Passport

  4. Vyom Sharma

    My passport is up for renewal this year. I also want to remove my middle name from it. Can you please guide me with process required for the same.

    V. Sharma

    1. administrator

      Vyom Sharma,
      Nothing will change in your passport during renewal/ re-issue, unless you request explicit request changes with proper proof for the same. You need to request for the change you want with proper proof. I suggest you do the required changes in the application form and carry respective proof for the change of the name along with current address details, you should be able to make the changes.

  5. Nitin

    Hi Kumar sir,
    I was issue my passport on 31/07/2006 from Thane and that time my permanent address was Nashik same as today.
    At the time of issue date there was no passport office at Nashik
    Now my passport comes to expiry .l want to renew my passport at Nashik is it possible?

    1. administrator

      Yes, you can do at any PSK that is near to your location. If you have a PSK in Nashik, you can do it. Just carry the current address proof with you and select Nashik as the appointment location, when you book the appointment.

  6. Moazzam

    Dear sir, my passport expired in 2014, thought it would not be required so didn’t renew it. Now l want to renew as am planning to go for a holiday with wife abroad. Will my passport be renewed after such a long gap. Same is the case with my wife’s passport. Kindly suggest.

    1. administrator

      It will be renewed, the gap does not matter. I know someone who just got it renewed after 15 years of expiration. You will need to carry your original passport that is expired and carry current address proof.

  7. Tapan Karan

    Dear Kumar,
    My Name is Tapan Karan (Kolkata)
    My Passport already expire 02.02.2016.
    Please share renewal process.

    1. administrator

      Tapan Karan,
      It is pretty standard like normal renewal/ re-issue. You can just follow the steps described in above article.

  8. Arvind

    My passport has been expired in Dec 2015 and I want to renew the same. Currently I am residing in Mumbai on rental basis and the address written on my old passport is of Rajasthan (permanent address). Can I renew it from Mumbai?
    As an address proof(i.e. for present address) I have bank statement only. I don’t have registered rent agreement. So bank statement is sufficient for address proof or required anything else?

    If it is OK then when I receive the passport which address would be written on new passport permanent or current?

    Please advice. Thanks in advance.

    1. administrator

      Yes, you can. I have seen people take bank passbook with photo as proof. It is suggested to carry an additional proof like rental agreement or utility bill. Your new address on passport will be your current address in Mumbai.

      1. Arvind

        Thanks Kumar for your prompt response.

        If my current address would be on my passport then it won’t create any problem in future, if I relocate from my current address to another location in next 2 or 3 month as this is temporary address.

        Please advise.

  9. Sushil S sawant

    My passport ll be expiring in Sept 2017,when t ll be in states as student,hence while applying I want to ask u as: what would be my address?ll it be what is there on old passport or ll it be where I ll be staying in states?what other documents m I supposed to furnish,along with residential address ?to apply for reissue of passport from states.

    1. administrator

      If you apply in US, you will get the local US address where you stay. You will only need to provide address proof and apply for re-issue. You may check with embassy nearest to your location for more details.

  10. Ramachandra Raju. P


    My wife seeks renewal of her Passport which is going to expire in Dec 2016
    For the past One year we are in new location ie in Vizianagaram
    My only proof of current location is Gas connection (HP) in my name
    and car insurance address in her name.

    Kindly advise me current address proof of mine (HP gas connection address)
    or address in car insurance (icici lombard) in her name is valid.

    Kindly guide me otherwise.

    Ramachandra raju

    1. administrator

      You can get bank passbook with the current address from the bank… also, you can make rental agreement, if you need to submit additional proof. I am not sure, if they will accept care insurance. Check website for the actual required documents.

  11. Santosh Raj

    I don’t have a surname in my passport. I recently got my passport renewed but forgot to get it corrected. Will i have to again apply for passport renewal?
    New passport valid till 2026, March. Please advise.

    1. administrator


      It will be valid from actual approval date for 10 years. In other words, there would be an overlap of period for 2 passports, but old one would be considered expired/canceled as soon as the new one goes into effect.

    1. administrator

      Yes, you can apply as re-issue. You will need to carry the original passport with current address details.

  12. Mana Mohan

    SIR, I WANT TO RENEW MY PASSPORT AS THIS WILL EXPIRED ON 15th JANUARY 2018. Could i do this as more than one year remaining for expire.

    1. administrator

      Mana Mohan,
      You can expire one year before expiry. You can renew from 15 Jan, 2017 for your situation.

  13. Jo

    Hi sir,
    i’m jo .i got divorce so i would like change my passport details. I would like to remove my spouse surname and his name also. So i can change my details. In re-issue of passport application which surname i will mention.

  14. Richa Lakhmani


    I have a passport made in kolkata but after marriage i am settled in Bangalore.

    I do not have any address proof for change of address. What should be done in this case?? Is affidavit valid??

    1. administrator

      Richa Lakhmani,
      You do not need anything proving your change of address. You say you are settled in Bangalore, that means you have an address in Bangalore. All you need is your current address proof, thats it… That could be as simple as your rental agreement, utilities bill, etc.

  15. Sushil S sawamt

    My passport is expiring in the september 2017 next yearby the time I would be in states for my MS studies.As m leaving India this fall ie in August 2016.Now since it expires next year where ll i be able to apply for reissue of passport & with which office in states ,pl advice?

    1. administrator

      Sushil S sawamt,
      If you are a student, you can apply 2 years before expiry. You can apply for re-issue in US as well at the nearest embassy to you.

  16. Jagadeesh


    I have applied for reissue of passport and taken PSK appointment in Bangalore on 14th May. And I have add my spouse name in the passport but I do not have the marriage certificate. How can I go about now as I do not have marriage certificate and now I cannot get it in another 2 days and I cannot change the appointment as well.

    Please advice.

    Thanks & Regards

  17. Sushil S sawamt

    Sir, my present passport expires after a month after I reach ll I be allowed to apply for re-issue of passport from where ? Is it through American consulate,at place of residence there or with Indian residential address there I ll be staying on F1 VISA as student for higher studies.

    1. administrator

      You can apply for re-issue in US at nearest embassy where you would stay in US. If you have time, you better get it re-issued in India itself to avoid issues.


    Hello sir, can you please suggest me regarding “name initial” in passport? Here is my problem, “in all my secular documents i.e class X, 10+2, Graduation Certificates etc…My name is appeared as
    ” TH. GUIBAMANG “(last name came first as title =TH),

    …but when I apply for PAN Card, Adhaar card etc they do not allow initial only two latter so I used my full name as “GUIBAMANG THIUMAI ” !

    So now I want to make this clear before applying for passport so that I leave Country to study outside safe & sound. Any suggestion if I gonna face problem in my education career outside?
    Do I have to stick with Secular certificate name and change in PAN/ADHAAR by taking Gazette officers sign to change my name? Or Which one name I have to use for passport?

    I am worry if i will face problem in my study career because my name in certificate and Passport/Id’s name is diff . kindly Suggest something for me. Thank you so much

    1. administrator

      You should stick with what is on your PAN Card. Usually, the X class and 10+2 certificates have only initial in them. I was in same situation as yours, nothing to worry, just expand your surname and apply for passport. Dont worry too much, your X Class certificate is to verify your date of birth only, if you were born before certain year.

  19. Gunjan

    Hi, i passport is goind to expire in 2017 but also i want to change my photograph, thus i filled online form for re -issue by selecting two reason: change in appearance and due to expire, i am not any option to upload new photo in the whole form till the end.

    Please suggest.

    1. administrator

      No need to upload photo. They will take your photo at the passport office when you go for the appointment.

  20. Krishnaveni

    i am krishnaveni.can i change my sir name and remove spouse name because i got divorce then which process to re-issue the passport

  21. Krishnaveni

    i am krishnaveni.can i change my sir name and remove my spouse name because i’m divorced then how to re issue the passport

    1. administrator

      Yes, you can do that. You need to apply for re-issue of passport, process is same as above. You will need to carry the relevant documents as suggested by the document advisor on the passport website.

  22. Diya


    I am travelling to US for studying. My Passport will expire a year after I reach there. I want to reissue it from India itself. However I also have my Visa appointment in a few days. Should I get it reissued after or before visa appointment. As the passport number changes after reissuing and I have submitted my initial passport number, will I face issues for Visa or at Immigration?
    Please advise


    1. administrator

      Well, do not worry too much, you can just re-issue your passport after you arrive in US. As you are close to visa appointment, dont complicate things and get worried about it.

  23. AMAR

    When I am applying first time in 2007, I have taken passport from hyderabad. In passport, place of Issue is Hyderabad. Now for renewal of passport, which is due to expire in 2017 ; should we have to visit hyderabad passport office or any nearest passport office (Vijayawada) is nearest PSK to us. Please clarify on this or help me with concerned mail id to clear about this.

  24. kailash

    While uploading Passport e-form i am getting the below error
    “The PIN Code entered in the Present Residential Address section does not correspond to the specified District/State. Please recheck the entered PIN Code, District and State Name.”
    Village or Town or City :adambakkam
    State :Tamil Nadu
    District :chennai
    PIN :60088

  25. Nikhil


    My passport is going to expire in Sept, 2016 and I want to apply for renewal. But I have one quarry

    I have applied for Divorce which I will get on Oct, 2016. So what to write in the marital status of the form – Single, Married etc

  26. Gangadhar Uppalapati

    Thanks so much to the author & Redbus2US team… You guys made it easier…Appreciate your time & efforts in putting this article so detailed.

  27. Pankaj kumar

    DEAR SIR, My passports is going to expire in AUGUST 2016.sir I want to re-issue my passport before expiry but I have a doubt, sir there is a case pending against me in the court of law and in this case I am also facing arresting. so I request you to please advise me about re-issue my passport in this situation. Thanks and regards. Pankaj kumar

  28. rajkumar pandey

    hi I am rajkumar pandey from sanganer Jaipur rajasthan I need re-issue my passport expire on 10/5/20016 and my appointment date 3/5/2016 I need urgent to visa what can I do

  29. vinil

    Similar to the above case, I need to change my place of birth in my passport(spelling mistake in the name of the state). I am living in bangalore temporarily, but my passport was issued in mumbai.
    So can I apply here in Bangalore.
    Thanks and regards,

    1. administrator

      Yes, you can do it in Bangalore PSK, you will need to carry your current address proof and the proof of the birth place details and go for re-issue of passport.

      1. vinil

        Hi Kumar,
        Thanks for the help.
        I have one more query, Can I use a rental agreement as a current address proof.
        I dont have any other document containing the bangalore address.
        Thanks and Regards,

  30. Munish

    Do I need to have a separate login-ID created for each passport renewal, as I need to get it renewed for 3 family members. Or does the portal allows a single user to submit multiple applications ?


    1. administrator

      You can just use one account for creating multiple applications. We have done it for entire family of 3 with login ID.

  31. jesse

    hi there,my question is,my mother got indian passport,but she has american greencard as well,she is at the moment in india and her passport is going to expire next month,on her passport has indian address,so on the new indian passport address would be indian or ameriacn,cause on her american ID card has american tell me please what we should do,if her passport have indian address,would be any problem or not? thank u,my name is jesse

    1. administrator

      It is recommended to apply for passport where she currently lives. She would have to apply at an embassy near to her place for passport re-issue.

  32. Maulik Shah

    Hi ,
    I wish to renew my son’s passport. Will my passport address be considered valid for residence proof of my son? The address on his passport is the same as mine.

    1. administrator

      Maulik Shah,
      It should be, if your son’s passport has your name matches with your current passport. It is recommended to carry other document proof as well like Aadhar card, etc.

  33. Deb

    I am holding an ordinary passport, issued at Kolkata and its due to expire by Jun,16. Presently I am staying in Bangalore.
    I am planning to apply for the re-issue of the passport byTatkal .

    1. Can you please advise, where should I apply – in Bangalore or in Kolkata ? I have permanent addresses in both the cities.
    2. If in Kolkata, I would need to visit the city and be present there ?
    3. Can I opt for renewal of passport and also change the address from Kolkata to Bangalore under this single Tatkal application ? If so, can I apply from Bangalore or need to visit to Kolkata ?

    Thanking you in anticipation for your kind guidance.



    1. administrator

      1. You can apply at the place you live, you can apply at PSK in Bangalore.
      2. You can do it from Bangalore itself.
      3. yes, can be done.
      Check document advisor for the requirements. If you are not in rush, no need for tatkaal, you get regular processing in about 15 days .

Leave a Comment

Comments Policy :
  • Comments are to drive conversation, add your thoughts, experiences, ask questions!
  • Do NOT write hate speech, swear words, or get into fight. Maintain etiquette
  • Enter your Name, valid Email, URL(optional - Facebook, LinkedIn profile URLs).
  • Your email will NOT be published. Do NOT post any phone numbers, email-ids
  • Do NOT post any links from other websites, unless official sites, University websites.
  • By submitting your comment, you agree to Term and Conditions of our website.