This page has all the latest information on upcoming H1B 2018 season, which starts in April 2017. We will keep this page up-to-date with FAQs and news about FY 2018 season. Below are various topics and FAQs covered on this page.
- Start of H1B Visa 2018 season ?
- H1B Quota for FY 2018 ?
- H1B visa 2018 Lottery Predictions ?
- Plan for H1B FY 2018 Application ?
- Find Visa Sponsors for H1B 2018 ?
- H1B Visa 2018 Fee ?
- Latest News of FY 2018
If this is your first year of H1B visa filing, you must read What is H1B Visa, Requirements, Process . Not to scare you, Last year, there was lottery for H1B season and for FY 2017 USCIS received 236,000 applications .
When does H1B Visa 2018 Season Start ?
Typically, USCIS accepts H1B petitions for next fiscal year starting from April 1st. So, for FY 2018, the start date for accepting applications would be April 1st, 2017. But, for FY 2018 season, April 1st falls on a Saturday, so USCIS will accept applications starting from Monday, April 3rd, 2017. If you were wondering why called 2018, when in 2017, it is the fiscal year dates that dictate that. USCIS fiscal year is from October 1st to March 30th. So, technically the fiscal year for 2018 starts from October 1st and they accept petitions for the same 6 months before the start date and it would be April 1st, 2017. You may read USCIS Press release for H1B 2017 Start Date
What is H1B 2018 Quota ? Regular Cap vs Master’s Cap Quota ?
To get some background, read H1B Quota – Regular vs Masters . There have been many speculations on increasing the H1B Cap due to extremely high demand and bills proposed for the same in the past, nothing made it through. As of writing of this article, below is the H1B cap quota. We will keep this article updated as new changes come in. The total H1B Quota as of today is 85,000 and it is split like below.
|Regular H1B Quota||65,000|
|Master’s H1B Quota ( Only US Masters Degree Eligible)||20,000|
Out of the above 85,000 quota, 6,800 are set aside for Singapore and Chile citizens as part of the free trade agreement between them. Also, check out the article with history of maximum H1B Cap from 1990 to 2017
H1B 2018 Lottery Predictions ?
It used to be a speculation whether we would have lottery in previous years, but in the past 4 years, lottery has become common. It is very likely that we would have lottery aka random selection for H1B 2018 season. We have been writing predictions over the years and all of them have been accurate so far. We will write a detail article with predictions as we near the H1B season. For now, you can read H1B Visa 2017 Lottery Predictions
When to plan for H1B 2018 Application – What should be your strategy ?
It is never too late to start planning…Depending on your situation, you may fall in one of the below categories and the suggestions are described below.
- F1 Student in USA : If you are studying on F1 visa and about to graduate in next one year, you should seriously look at finding an internship or co-op at companies that can sponsor your H1B visa. You can search for H1B Sponsors in a particular area using our H1B Sponsors Search Tool and try to get an internship to work there on CPT or OPT after you graduate. This is a strategic move and will require sometime, so plan well.
- Working Professional from outside USA : If you are a working professional outside US, planning to work in US, especially on H1B visa, your best bet is to find Multinational companies ( MNCs) that have major US presence and secure a job there, so that you can position internally for applying to H1B visa, when the season starts. This is a very strategic decision, you need to carefully assess your options, speak to the company if such options exist and then only choose it. There may be many people already in-line for these visas, you need to plan carefully so that you are given a slot in the company’s filing for your next season application.
- Other H4, L1 Visas : If you are on these visas living in USA, your best bet is to find companies just like I mentioned for F1 students that sponsor H1B visas and start interviewing and keeping the conversation going so that you can ask them to file H1B when the season starts.
For FY 2017, we have put together a Step by Step Plan on How to apply for H1B 2017 Quota, it gives a guideline on the planning and what steps exists.
How to find H1B Visa Sponsor for FY 2018 quota ?
This is probably the most asked question by everyone. It can be a tricky decision, you need be very careful to avoid fraud.
- If you are student in the US, it is very straight forward, you find the list of H1B Sponsoring companies using the tool in an area as I mentioned above and get an internship in one of them so that they can sponsor your H1B visa.
- If you are professional planning to arrive in US from oustide America, it can be really tricky. If you work for an Multinational company ( MNC), then they will have some internal process to pick the candidates and then process H1B visa for them…The other option that has been used and abused is the consulting companies route…Many a times, the H1B aspirants approach a body shop IT consulting company to file H1B for them and they apply for the same. It gets nasty with the body shop consulting companies. The comments on this H1B Companies Reviews article are quite eye opening. I advise, you beware of the consulting companies and avoid fraud.
- Also, WE as RedBus2US do NOT provide any guidance or assistance or sponsor anything. If someone claims that, it is pure fraud and they are trying to trick you, we are not responsible for that. Please be careful
We have an article that we wrote for previous season, you may read article How to find H1B 2017 Sponsors to find out various options.
What is H1B Visa 2018 Fee ? How much does it cost for the company ?
The H1B fee varies by the size of the company..As of FY 2017 season, it can range anywhere from $1,600 USD to $7,400 USD + Attorney Fee. There are various fees components that make up this number range, for more details Read Summary of H1B Filing Fee 2017 – Who pays for What ? . Below is a high level summary from FY 2017 quota. If any changes, we will update this accordingly.
|H1B Fee Component||Fee in USD|
|Base filing fee||$325|
|AICWA Fee||$750 or $1,500|
|Fraud prevent & detection fee||$500|
|Fee based on Public Law 114-113 ( if applicable)||$4000|
|Premium processing fee (Optional)||$1,225|
|Immigration Attorney Fee||Varies from $500 to $3000|
What is the Latest News about H1B 2018 Season ?
No official news has been released by USCIS yet. They usually mention some of the updates, in rejected petitions and some when the season is close to start. We will keep track of the news updates and keep those posted here as they appear.
Are you planning for FY 2018 quota ? What are your questions ? Add your thoughts.