H1B and H4 Visas Stamping Experience at Mumbai Consulate – January 2013
One of our readers, Pankaj Sharma, attended his H1B visa interview along with his spouse for H4 Visa recently in Mumbai and got it successfully stamped. Congrats to Pankaj and his family ! Thanks to him for sharing his valuable experience. You can share your experience to be posted on blog here
I am sharing my experience for the visa interview for myself, my wife and my son (though I didn’t took him along with me as he is 2.5 years of age) for H1 visa for me and H4 for my wife and son. I hope this may help some of you who is going to attend the interview. The visa interview was in Mumbai at 9 AM (24rd Jan 2013) and the OFC (Offsite Facilitation Center) appointment was on Jan 15th, 2013 ( 10:30 AM)
US Visa OFC Process in Mumbai
Date: 15 Jan 2013—Time 10:30 AM.
1. I went to the BKC OFC (Bandrakurla Complex ) (I got late by 1 hours because of traffic but please try to get earlier), there was a line which I was asked to stand and they asked my wife and my son to go inside and wait.
2. They screened me to see if I have any prohibited items.
3. The lady inside asked for Original Passport and DS 160 and put a sticker on all 3 Passports.
4. The person next to her scanned the sticker and asked to go inside the room.
5. As soon as you enter one person gave you the token number for myself and my wife.
6. Our turn came and I gave my finger print and photo so did my wife (he took our passports (PP)and DS 160 then stamped on the DS 160 and gave back the PP and asked to be there at the interview on schedule date and be 15 minutes before.
7. They took only the photo of my son and asked us not to bring him for the visa interview as he is less than 14 years old.
8. The overall things took us only 15-20 minutes. There are many counters inside and it won’t take much of time.
9. I took private cab to reach there from suburbs but the traffic was such that it took me 3.10 Hrs. to reach whereas on decent traffic it should have taken me 1 hour. Personal opinion avoid traffic on WE highway from 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM or else take train.
10. They didn’t asked any questions there.
H1B and H4 Visa Interviews - Process at US Consulate in Mumbai
First you have to get in the building and they will check you if you have any prohibited items with you. You then proceed inside where there are many volunteers to guide you with the seating arrangement and the documents required in your hand.
Once your turn come you will need to go and collect you token number and proceed towards the fingerprinting (even though you might have given earlier).
Look at the TV screens for your token number and counter.
Here is the Interview Part:
to Me ( H1B Visa):
1. Have you been rejected a visa earlier? (Answered)
2. Have you applied visa through any other location? (Answered)
3. What job you will be doing in US? (Answered)
4. How long you have been working with this company (Answered)
To My wife (H4 Visa ) :
1. How long you have been married?
2. Your wedding date?
3. How many children you have any what is his/her age?
(it took around 2-3 min.)
That was it and he kept the PP and asked to collect in 3-5 working days. (Got the message in the evening that it is done and I can collect the PP tomorrow– seems very quickly).
Things to remember for Visa Interview – My thoughts
1. Be calm and confident.
2. Don’t get influenced with what is going with other interviews. (since I was nervous because there were 2 counters in front of me where I was seating and there were lot of rejections, but I calmed myself as they were for other visas and the case was different.)
3. Dress nicely it gives a good impression.
4. Look in to the eye of the Visa Officer and answer (they look for nervous sign).
5. They ask you simple questions in tricky way so be slow and answer as it will give you Little more time..
6. Their questions are very straight so don’t get afraid listen and if in doubt ask him to repeat the questions and answer.
Thankyou Saurabh and Pandeyji for the inputs.
Regarding documents though I had carried all the originals also but he just asked for the PP and nothing else.
Though my Interview time was very short, these few things i had observed by listing to other interview.
I hope this may be helpful and good luck to others.
Thanks & regards
You can share your experience here