Many of you, who are still waiting for receipts for FY 2017 must be wondering, do I still stand a chance to get H1B receipt. Let me cover the reality first and some of the exceptions or outliers shared by users in the last couple of years, when we had lottery.
What’s the Reality of Getting H1B receipts now ? Is it Game Over ?
Well, unfortunately, the reality is that, if you are still waiting for your H1B receipt, either regular or premium processing, the chances of getting H1B receipt is very slim. The slim chances are due to the fact that USPS delayed mail or lost mail or some system level exceptions. Some of you may have a week of slim chances and after that it is technically a game over situation as it has been over 2 weeks since May 2nd, when the H1B Data Entry was Complete for FY 2017 .
What are the Exceptions and Outliers for Receipts Shared by Users in Previous Years ?
As always, there are some exceptions and outliers these can be for various reasons and you may or may not be part of that, let me share with you what our users have shared in comments in past couple of years.
- FY 2016 – H1B Receipt June 3rd: One of the user posted that they have received receipt on June 3rd..see below. Check Comment Link
- FY 2016 – No Receipt – Direct Approval June 23rd : Very rare, but lucky person who got it approved…seems the system did not send out the receipt notice mail or it was lost in transit. Check comment link
- FY 2015 – Premium Processing – Approval on June 17th : This is totally off the normal, but it happens in life. Check comment link, the user describes full story
- FY 16 – Check cashed, no receipt August 30th : Interestingly, check was cashed, but no receipt till Aug 30th. Check comment
So, What’s the key take way ? Should I keep hopes ?
There can be similar exceptions like above for some cases…but let’s be realistic, these could be a fraction of the total receipts… Posting these experiences of users is not to increase your hopes, but just to share that there can be exceptions due to system glitches. Personally, I do not recommend banking too many hopes and waiting for your petition receipt. You should have got a receipt number by now, if you were selected in lottery…if not the by today, at most by end of this week…otherwise, the chances after that are almost zero…
One thing is for clear, if you have not heard anything from USCIS, you need to start to think about your options and plan accordingly so that you do not get into out of status situations, which can jeopardize your future. On a side note, you should ask your employer to share the reject letter copy, when they receive the rejection package indicating that you were not selected in H1B lottery, that is the only way to be fully 100% confirmed that you were not picked in lottery.
Any exceptions so far? Are anyone still getting receipts?
In case you have not checked out, we have written few articles in the past that talk about all the next steps. Read below…
- H1B Case Number : Understand your H1B Case Number
- Various Case Statuses for H1B : H1B Case Status Meaning, Screenshots
- Steps Flow after H1B Lottery : H1B Case Status Flow Chart for – Approval