Common American English Words in daily life vs British Words — Part II

by Kumar · 93 comments

I have wrote an article few months back : Common American English words used in daily life vs British English equivalents. This article is a continuation of the same article with few more American words used in Daily life with their British equivalents.  Common American English Words used in daily life vs British English wordsI am not trying to write a dictionary or anything here. Just trying to share few words that I thought were different to me since I came to US.

Common words in Daily routine/ activities

American English word British English equivalent Explanation and usage.
Cilantro Coriander When you go to buy vegetables,  you have to look for cilantro leaves
Grocery Store Super Market You find vegetables and all the house supplies in a typical grocery store. It can be used synonymous with super market.
Restaurant Hotel In US, Hotel means the place you stay for night like Marriot.
Cross Walk Zebra Crossing The path for crossing roads at Traffic lights
Traffic Lights Traffic Signal In US, they use the word Traffic lights or Just the word Lights to refer to Traffic Signal
Soda Cold Drink Soda refers to anything like Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, etc
Okra Lady Finger Typically you look for Okra in a Grocery store.
Egg plant Brinjal If you use brinjal, people in US do not understand. So, use Egg plant
Peanuts Ground nuts Peanuts are common snack and it is also used in phrases too. Like “that income is just peanuts”.  It means very less.
Grade / Percent Marks You do not see professors using the word Marks at all. They use either percent or grade.
Sidewalk Pavement / Foot path You walk to home on sidewalk in American English.
Battery Cell / Cells You use batteries for charging. In US, they do not understand if you refer cell. They think cell phone.
Eraser Rubber To erase stuff written by pencil you use Eraser in US. Rubber means Condom in America. Do not ask someone in class, “I need rubber”. People will  look at you and say What ?
Mixer / Blender Mixi or Mixie You use the word mixer or Blender in US to refer to mixi. It is used for mixing flour, blending, etc
Refrigerator Fridge I have never seen anyone use Fridge. They use Freezer or Refrigerator to store vegetables  and freezer to make ice or store frozen vegetables.
Bell pepper Capsicum The big green pepper / chili you cook !
Chili In US, Chili is a dish made of ground beef, chili powder, tomatoes and beans. Be careful about  the context of usage.
Jalapenos Green Chili Green Chili are referred to as  Jalapenos. They are a little bigger than regular green chili.
Sneakers Tennis Shoe / Sports Shoe Sneakers are often used to refer to running shoes in US.
Tortilla It is like chapatti made of wheat or corn flour, but primarily  of Mexican origin. Pronounced as Tortia.
Bubbler Drinker Water Fountain Bubbler is a just a water fountain that provides drinking water in public places. You do not use Glass or anything. You just drink off the fountain.
Pills Tablets in US, you take pills if you are sick. It could be for common cold or allergies, etc
Pants Trousers You buy a pair of pants in US. There is no Jeans pant, you just refer as Jeans
Clippers Nail Cutter You cut your nails by clippers in US

If you can think of any other common American words that are different from british English, just add them as comments. I will write an article on some common American phrases sometime that I thought were new to me.

{ 93 comments… read them below or add one }

William September 30, 2014 at 9:14 pm

We say super market(at least sometimes), fridge, and water fountain. I should specify that I’m from The Triangle in NC which is a mixed bag of Northeastern, Southern, and West coast culture plus tons of Chinese and Korean people-who all move here for the universities—point is I don’t speak for all Rednecks,Yankees,Lakers,or California yuppies, but I think I know American pretty well.


Dominic June 24, 2014 at 6:00 pm

I’m actually English, and a lot of the British English terms you’ve used are completely wrong

1.) a restaurant is the same in the UK as it is in the US – somewhere you eat
2.) a hotel is where you stay. We do not ever call a restaurant a hotel…
3.) traffic lights are exactly the same.
4,) instead of eggplant we say aubergene. I honestly don’t know what you’re on…
5.) peanuts are the exact same – peanuts
6.) we do not ever say cell instead of battery – EVER
7.) we don’t say capsicum. We call them peppers
8.) Before reading your post, I had never even heard of a ‘mixie’. We say blender here.

I don’t know what type of British English you’re talking about, but it certainly isn’t the English we speak in the UK…


Ravi Teja July 18, 2014 at 12:30 am

Hi dude im ravi teja from india.we are using the britsh english.not only india through out asia we will use the same words as mentioned above in the blog.
Iv’e seen some comments below.some one is talking like( comisee comsa) this is french word sorry for speeling mistake.meaning is (like this like that).


Sarah September 3, 2014 at 9:52 pm

You are right. I could tell it was Indian English and not British English as I read the list (I am American).


BF May 28, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Check out the Dictionary of American Regional English for more variants such as bubbler vs. water fountain, trainers vs. sneakers, etc. Fascinating.


Johne600 May 4, 2014 at 4:04 am

Fckin awesome things here. I am very glad to see your article. Thanks a lot and i’m looking forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail? bgdaafekegga


Kieran April 9, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Americans do say Fridge. I’ve always say Fridge.

But I’ve never heard anyone refer to a drinking fountain as a Bubbler. We would say drinking fountain or water fountain.

If it however was a decorative water display in an outside area, this is just a fountain.


Greg September 8, 2014 at 9:01 pm

“Bubbler” is a very regional term used only in parts of New England. Most Americans would have no idea what a “bubbler”refers to in this context.


Aidan October 16, 2014 at 3:14 am

In Wisconsin we say “Bubbler” but no where else have I heard it said, even in some parts of the state they don’t say it. For me of course I say bubbler.

I knew some of these on the list were not from UK but it is interesting to see never the less. Thanks for posting, I teach English abroad and I was trying to show the difference between American and British English terms.


surya chavakula February 10, 2014 at 11:13 pm

interesting site to learn knew things


Dnx September 23, 2013 at 3:13 am

This, I’m sad to say, has some problems from the British English side.

I am English, and in the UK:
-we do not sleep at restaurants, we stay at hotels, although many hotels have restaurants inside/attached(there is a difference)
-Peanuts are Peanuts – ‘ground nuts’ is not used here
-it is not common to use the word ‘cell’ for battery in the UK(I never have, and haven’t heard either).
-if you started talking about a ‘Mixi’/’Mixie’, you would probably not be understood. I have never heard of one until today!
-Soda = fizzy/carbonated, rather than cold. I would not describe cold milk, for example, as soda! We have sodastreams in the UK and they carbonate drinks.
-a better general term for sneakers in the UK is Trainers

Hope this helps


SM November 5, 2013 at 7:40 am

The author was talking about the british english followed in India not in UK.


John August 16, 2013 at 8:46 am

I noticed chili is mentioned in the above table.

In most places chili is just chili.

However, in Cincinnati, Ohio, chili parlors are everywhere and chili is a big deal.

According to Wikipedia you can get chili at least 5 different ways. as follows:

Bowl: chili in a bowl
Two-way: chili and spaghetti
Three-way: chili, spaghetti, and cheese
Four-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, and onions
Five-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, onions, and beans

When I was growing up we lived in Indiana, about 60 miles from Cincinnati, our home recipie was hamburger, chili beans, onions, cheese, and macaroni, which made it “chili mac”. The macaroni also provides filler and stretches the quantity of chili you can make, which makes it less expensive per serving.


Fredric February 26, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Nice… Don’t forget Chili in a Bread Bowl! Mmmm… :)


s. ferdinand March 5, 2013 at 3:06 am

bed-meaning from british and american english


Nitin Pawar February 15, 2013 at 11:52 pm

It’s really cool .. I liked it … thanks for sharing friend :)


Nitin Pawar February 15, 2013 at 11:51 pm

it’s cool… I liked it …thanks for sharing


Dave January 21, 2013 at 5:57 am

May I just mention that we do not use the term ‘British English’, it is just merely English.


Cassie September 28, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Yeah, we don’t say “American English” in the US, either.


John January 11, 2013 at 11:49 pm

One interesting thing I recently learned is that the mid-western accent, except for minor regional differences, is the U.S. equivalent of RP in England. (This really surprised me).

It is the accent (or lack thereof) that radio and TV news types in the U.S. strive to emulate.

Here is an interesting webpage about U.S. accents:


Amy January 11, 2013 at 6:49 pm

You”re forgetting “Bumbershoot” for umbrella and “Trainers” is also a term for sneakers.


Cath September 6, 2012 at 12:16 am

Me again…sorry to keep popping up but, as an American, I feel duty bound to mention when something doesn’t ring true.

You included “soda” as the American term for “cold drink” and I thought I should add that many people in the midwest refer to “soda/cold drinks” as “pop”.

You mention that you have never seen anyone use the term “fridge” but I always refer to our refrigerator as a “fridge”, as do most people I know. Actually, most Americans use both terms interchangably with “fridge” being employed in more casual conversation.

One interesting inclusion I noticed was “bubbler” for drinking water fountain”…I have never heard the expression “bubbler” before, however, it might very well be a regional colloqualism I am unfamiliar with. We have always refered to “drinking water fountains” as simply “drinking fountains”.

Finally, I thought I should mention that both of the terms “pills” and “tablets” are correct in the US, though “tablets” is typically used to describe a specific sort of pill, which is usually round and uncoated such as an aspirin tablet.

Thanks for writing these interesting articles!


Nicole September 6, 2012 at 4:24 pm


I’m American and “bubbler” is used. But it is regional. It’s used in New England. My mom is from Massachusetts and she says “bubbler”. When I was little I lived in New Hampshire and we said it there too. So it’s used in New England. But I’ve lived in FL and MD and I’ve never heard it in either of those places nor in the surrounding states. Only in New England.



Cath September 6, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Hi Nicole,

Aha, I thought that it might be a regional term. I will say that it’s a lot more evocative and a much more cute term than “drinking fountain” lol.

Thanks for the info!


Sara February 10, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Nicole, I am from Wisconsin and we use the term bubbler also. I thought it was just regional to our area.


Shirley March 8, 2013 at 9:13 am

We say bubbler for drinking fountain in Massachusetts. I’ve visited the Arizona desert and when I asked where the bubbler is, they had no idea what I was talking about.

Yes, very regional, as well as, other words unrecognizable in AZ (as my personal example) always used in Massachusetts/New England where I live.


John June 7, 2012 at 11:18 am

Another term you might hear used in Indiana by older people:

If you hear them talking about going to the grocery store to get some “mangos” this may not be the tropical fruit they are talking about.

It may be referring to a green pepper.

I did some research on this and it is definitely an archaic term and may have its origins in West Virginia.


Kumar June 8, 2012 at 2:56 am

Interesting…. “Mangos” means green pepper…I would be shocked to get green pepper, if I asked for mangos :) Thanks for sharing !


John August 16, 2013 at 8:16 am

I did some more research and still do not have the complete answer, but “mango” apparently has to do with a particular species of green pepper.


John June 7, 2012 at 10:51 am

I’m a little surprised that I haven’t seen the location where you park your automobiles discussed.

My spouse and I both had friends from England that referred to that location as the “car park” whereas in the U.S. we call it the parking lot.


Arshad June 7, 2012 at 3:28 am

Very nice and well explained article…:)


John April 30, 2012 at 9:47 pm

In many parts of the U.S., when you either don’t understand some one or didn’t hear them clearly you might say:

“I beg your pardon” or just “Pardon”

However, in Cincinnati, Ohio, the expression, might be “Please” which is probably a shortened version of “Please repeat what you just said”.

Another expression heard in the U.S. is “If you don’t mind” would you, could you do something?

However, in Tennessee, the expression is “If you don’t care” which is rather startling if you are used to the former , because the latter is kind of a double negative.


John April 30, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Here is another interesting expression:

In the eastern U.S. you “take a haircut”.

In the Midwest you “get a haircut”. Another rather archaic phrase is “getting your ears set out”.

Women more often than not will refer to it as “getting my hair cut”, probably because some women perceive the word ” a haircut” as a masculine phrase.


Nicole May 2, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I’ve lived on the East coast my whole life. I’ve lived in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maryland, Florida and have been to every state here on the East Coast. I have never heard anybody say “take a haircut.” Here we say “get a haircut” and everybody – guys or girls – says “I’m getting my hair cut.” I’m not sure where you’ve heard “take a haircut”? Are you from the East Coast? Because I’ve never heard anybody say that and I’ve lived here all my life.

But that does remind me of how Americans say “take a shower” whereas Australians (and I think Brits too?) would say “have a shower.” Australians (and I’m assuming Brits too) also say “have a go” and “it’s your go” rather than “take a turn” or “it’s your turn” which is what Americans say. I mention Australians because I’ve been to Australia and have friends there. But Australia uses British English so it’s often the same. Though Australia has a lot more shortened/slang words…..brekkie (breakfast), prezzy (presant), tazzy (Tasmania), chokkie bikkie (chocolate buscuit/cookie), avo (afternoon), sus (suspicious; i.e. “that’s so sus”), sunnies (sunglasses), etc. I may have spelt some of the shorted words incorrectly.


loren May 2, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I’m from England. We say both…. “Go and take a shower ” or “I’m going to have a shower”
And yes we do say “it’s your go” or “have a go at this” I work in early education and it’s really hard to change the way we say this. But thank goodness the children know what I’m saying. lol!
We also use most of the slang words that the Australians use too.

I will have to try and think of what else there is. Its funny hearing the thoughts of others.
I will be returning home in a few weeks and I’m sure aload of words will just coming flooding back.


John May 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm


Probably my sample size is too small on “take a haircut”, but I have heard it in the east.

Since I’m in my late ’60s that expression may have gone out of style, but I have heard it.


Cammie April 14, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I’m from Texas and fridge is commonly used as is ice box, but ice box is usually by much older people.


Sheri March 15, 2012 at 8:07 am

Hi. Just happened to come across this site while surfing. A few more additions:
We do use “fridge” quite often in the US. Toilet paper is TP. Bathroom can be “Ladies Room” or “Powder Room” for women, “Gents” for the men. “Coke” is a universal reference to any soft drink. How about “chips” (potato chips) instead of “crisps”. We say “Thank you”, in England it’s “Tah”. “You’re Welcome” rather than “Cheers”. Oh, and here a “rubber” is a condom. I wonder how many more you’ll come up with!


loren March 15, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Tah is really only used by little children. I don’t ever remember an adult saying that.
For “Thank You” we normally say “Cheers”.
When you say “your welcome” we say “no worries”
Yes a rubber here is a condom, but for us a rubber is an eraser


John April 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Actually, “Coke” is a universal term for any soft drink in – the South (at least in Tennessee). It is still “Pop” in Indiana and Michigan. In Illinois and Missouri it is “Soda”. In New Hampshire it may be called a”Tonic” – (I have a couple of friends from there). By the way, in some states Cream or Creme Soda is red. In some states it is pale yellow, while in Chicago, at least, it is clear like water.

In several of the Midwestern states the words car, fire, and tire/tyre rhyme with far. Iron is pronounce “Arn”. In several of the Southern states, one syllable words are pronounced as two syllable words, like my car (ca-ar) and my dog (daw-awg). This one is very subtle, but if you listen carefully, you can hear the two syllables. A real surprise is that in Chattanooga, TN and Houston, TX. Despite being located in the South, these two cities, with a few exceptions, do not really have an appreciable accent.

There are several terms in the U.S. for the container you use to carry your groceries.
It can be either a bag, a sack, or a poke (may be slightly archaic now) . The wheeled cart you accumulate your groceries in before paying for them at the check-out can be either a cart, a shopping cart, a basket, or a buggy (in the South).

Also, depending on the location, a large, many component sandwich on a long split roll can be a “Grinder”, a “Hero”, a “Hoagie”, a “Poor Boy”, a “Submarine”, or a “Torpedo”. I’m sure there are several other terms for other localities.

My grandmother owned an “Icebox” when I was in grade school. The ice man came in a horse drawn wagon and brought a large block of ice into the house with tongs and opened the door to a compartment in the top of the icebox and put the block in there. I believe he came about 3 times a week. This was in the “50s”.

Because of the type of work I used to do, I lived in several different states, before I retired.


Kumar April 16, 2012 at 12:08 am

John, really interesting words…It is amazing to know that you traveled so much and got used to different words. “Icebox” is my favorite :-) Thanks for sharing !


Princehuman August 28, 2013 at 1:14 pm

its weird becoz condom is a condom.. rubber means – anything that rubs, hope you know what rub means – rub, erase as it “rub it off”


SAYLOVE MBELE February 25, 2012 at 3:31 am



ABDELGADIR December 22, 2011 at 9:21 pm

It is amazing difference for us..since we accustomed to using English..for instance, we say autumn in time of raining..where as using ‘Fall’ as a season of autumn in American English..Grocery store=AM..super market=EN..And so many examples..Within process of time we can get more..


ABDELGADIR December 22, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I found out there is big different between AMERICAN and ENGLISH..ADDED to my memory


javan rsm October 30, 2011 at 4:18 pm

am loving this. Thankyou.


loren October 27, 2011 at 9:19 pm

This is all very interesting to read. I am from the South of England and moved here 3 years ago. I on occasion I still use British words but now being around so many Americans I forget most English words. Although, looking through all of these written here, I have never heard of a dickey. We call the trunk of a car …. the boot.

One that no one has mentioned is a Fanny. Here this is considered as your behind, but in England it is something completely different. I’ll let you fill out the blank………….
Lets see how many people know this one.

Bunk/Bunked is when you take a day off from school or work without permission.

Women’s underwear is called knickers. Men’s underwear are called pants.

Ground meat is called Mince.

Pumps here are high heels. Pumps at home are more like trainers or shoes children wear for PE

These are all very random but are the first things that came into my head. lol!

Can’t wait to hear some more!


Sarah October 28, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I am from the south of england too but not that far south. Ousts to live in Surrey.


Lizzie October 6, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Hi! Just wanted to let y0u know that Americans do sometimes use the word “fridge”. It’s actually used more commonly than “refrigerator”.


laura September 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Oh, PS: In this region, we call Coke, Pepsi, etc., “pop”!


laura September 29, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Hello! I love lists like this, but my experience with a few of the words is different. I’m from the Pacific Northwest in the US, and we definitely say “fridge” here. “Refrigerator” has too many syllables, so people don’t say it that often. We have both cilantro and coriander in stores, because they’re our names for two different things! Cilantro is the leaf of the plant that coriander seeds come from. We use the term “grocery store,” but usually shorten it to “the store.” “I’m going to the store–need anything?” We also say “drinking fountain” or “water fountain.” Although we do have Benson bubblers in Portland. They are a specific style of fountain, though, and we don’t use that name for anything else.


Kumar September 30, 2011 at 12:54 am

Laura, I love the Benson Bubbler. It is exactly like Benson burner, that we studied in chemistry….Short forms and less syllables are always good :)


loren October 27, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I think that’s a Bunsen Burner not Bensen Burner


Nicole September 30, 2011 at 4:33 pm

We also say “supermarket” in the USA too (along with [grocery] store, like you said).

In New England instead of “water fountain” they say “bubbler.” My mom is from Massachusetts and she says it. I went to preschool, kindergarten, and 1st grade in New Hampshire and they said it there as well. Then I moved to Florida for my elementary school years and they didn’t say it there. (Also in New England they say “wicked” a lot instead of “very”. Like “that is wicked cool.”) Now I’m in Maryland and nobody says “bubbler.” So outside of New England the word “bubbler” is not used, as far as I know. I’ve never heard it elsewhere.

Also in New England, instead of “dresser” they say “bureau.” That’s what I learned to call it. Although dresser is used too. But most people outside of New England barely know what a bureau is. And in New England, instead of “basement” they usually say “cellar.”

Anyway those are just some differences between the US states. There are so many differences just within the USA, let alone between all the English speaking countries!! I’m just glad we all speak English, no matter what dialect or accent. It’s nice to be able to understand people from so many other countries.


Libby December 31, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I love this list, thank you! I’m from Dallas, Texas and chivalry is very important to that. That means men opening doors to women, people taking off hats in places of worship. We also tend to combine words like. In the North east people say “you guys”. In texas we say “ya’ll”.


Evelyn June 28, 2013 at 9:02 pm

From Cali, and I have never heard bureau


jerry February 22, 2012 at 6:47 pm

yeah we do bubblers’ a weed pipe wit water


John April 5, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Fridge may come from the Frigidaire brand of refrigerator, one of which I have about 6 ft (2.36 meters/metres) away from me.


Princehuman August 28, 2013 at 1:18 pm

NOPE, wrong.. refrigerator is shortened ” re – “frige” -rator = fridge !! get it?


sarah walker August 14, 2011 at 9:28 pm

im english but live in the states now and i can say that i have never heard anyone say hotel and mean restraunt, they say restraunt in england. p.s. you should do one on different spellings like colour : color. haha also here’s one you can add tackle : steal i was playing football (soccer) and i yelled “tackle her” and everyone stopped in the middle of the pitch and stared at me. I was taken out of the game and given a speech on your not allowed to hurt people, it was really embarrising. All i meant was steal the ball from her, anyway lesson learned.


Ahmed Om April 10, 2011 at 1:53 am

from the bottom of my heart, I used to confuse American English words vs British English words but this helps a lo.. Thanks


Kirstin March 27, 2011 at 6:45 am

I am British- this seems to be intended for non-US folks visiting the US, but could be helpful in either direction. I, as a Brit, would say:

Grocery store: Supermarket. Alternatively, Greengrocer’s for a shop that just sells vegetables and fruit. May also be referred to by the name of the chain (E.g. ‘Tescos’ ‘Co-op’, ‘Asda’, ‘Morrisons’, ‘All-Nite’)

Restaurant: We say restaurant too, although it usually implies a place serving multi-course meals in the evening. Places serving light daytime food may be called a café instead, or, in touristy places, maybe a tea-shop. If somewhere does takeaway food, we might say takeaway instead. If the place serves the food of a specific country or region we might call it by that (E.g. ‘Indian’, ‘Chinese’). May also be referred to by the name of the chain (E.g. ‘Macdonalds’, ‘Pizza Hut’).

Traffic lights: We say traffic lights or just lights too. Using ‘traffic signal’ will likely produce a puzzled look, or imply a signpost of some kind.

Sidewalk: We’d generally use pavement if it’s alongside a road. Footpath often implies a path without vehicles alongside.

Soda: We’d usually use the brand name or equivalent- ‘Coke’ or ‘Tango’ or whatever. ‘Fizzy drink’ is a generic term but not so often used. ‘Coke’ is often used for any cola-flavoured drink, even if it is in fact a Pepsi. ‘Pop’ is very a old-fashioned word for the same thing. ‘Cold drink’ can mean any non-alcoholic drink served at room temperature or below. ‘Soft drink’ and ‘non-alcoholic beverage’ have similar meanings but are more likely seen on a menu than heard spoken.

Okra: Ladies’ Fingers. Okra is also used.

Eggplant: Aubergine

Peanuts: Peanuts. Using ‘ground nuts’ will probably get you funny looks, or possibly a direction towards ground almonds, or maybe gingernuts, which are ginger biscuits (ginger-flavoured cookies).

Battery: Battery

Mixer/Blender: Food processor or blender, or sometimes ‘Kenwood’ (A brand name sometimes applied as a general term).

Bell pepper: Bell pepper

Sneakers: Trainers. ‘Tennis shoes’ is a very old-fashioned term.


Vacuum cleaner: Sometimes called a ‘hoover’
Adhesive tape: Stickytape or Sellotape


Kumar March 30, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Kristin, Thanks for sharing…some interesting words ..I like Fizzy drink :) Hoover is interesting ? all I can think of is the company ” Hoovers “, I would be lost… :)


Shibino August 14, 2011 at 11:49 am

This is very useful for me. Thank you.


John January 11, 2013 at 11:14 pm



In the U.S. there may be something similar to Greengrocers over here but I am more familiar with “farmer’s markets”. These are either at a designated location in a town or city, or with the owner’s permission, may take place on a certain day of the week in the parking areas of our “big box” stores like Wal-Mart or K-Mart (Big K now). Farmers will come and sell produce out of the back of their vehicles or under canopies.

Instead of “take away” food we have “drive-thru” or “take out” (where you have to enter the restaurant or store).

The one that surprised me was Ladies Fingers as a name for okra. When I was growing up, I remember my mother making “Lady Fingers” as a light refreshment. This an elongated sugar cookie/biscuit. They might have icing. As for okra, I have only seen it served two ways – pickled and boiled. I really enjoy pickled okra. However, in spite of my Scottish background, boiled okra, which I have tried, has about as much appeal to me as the description of haggis
Finally, in the area I live in, athletic shoes are referred to just as “sneaks”, at least by my age group.


Nicole January 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Oh another thing is that I use both “grocery store” and “super market” here in the USA.

Another one is basement and cellar. Both are used here. I’m not sure about in England. Cellar in the USA is generally used only in New England. My parents say cellar since they’re from Massachusetts. I, however, call it a basement since I’ve grown up mostly in Florida and other East coast states.

Autumn and fall are also both used in the USA, except fall is much more common (actually, did you know people in England first used the term “fall” but then switched to “autumn”!) But autumn is still used, and if you said it people would have no problem understanding what you mean. Some people also have the name Autumn.

Floor levels is another thing. I think in England the very first floor is called the “ground floor” and then the second level is called the “first floor”, etc. But in the USA the “ground floor” is the same thing as the “first floor”. Then the second level is the “second floor”, etc.

Another one is in the USA it’s called a band-aid, whereas in England it’s a plaster.

In the USA it’s called a diaper, in England it’s a nappy.

Oh and as for the spelling of the word theater/theatre. In the USA you can spell it either way. I like to spell it theatre only because to me that seems cooler. :P But either way is acceptable. They are interchangeable here and both are used despite the fact that we use the -er instead of the -re. (except in the word “acre”, where it’s -re).

The letter “z” here is pronounced like “zee”, not “zed.”

Sorry if you already mentioned any of these! I read this wonderful article last year, over 7 months ago.

Anyways, again – nice article. :D

I hope you’re liking your life in the USA!


Kumar January 3, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Nicole, Thanks for sharing great info… I have not mentioned anything that you wrote in my previous articles… :) I did come across all of them in US, but could not recollect, when I wrote the article …I am glad you wrote them :) You should read this Vegetables, Snacks, Food American vs. British and add anything that I missed, will help blog readers. Yes, I am really enjoying my stay in US :)


John April 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Some of the words used here in the US carry certain connotations.
For instance “cellar” denotes an area that may be inadequately lighted and dank.
“Basement” implies an area that is much better lighted and dry.
“Fall” is more of a Midwestern term while the east coast uses “Autumn”. I’m unsure what the west coast uses. While theater/theatre are both used, theatre implies a more upscale location. You often see it written in Olde English on programs/playbills, and yes, playbill is the upscale term.


Andrew September 25, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I’m from the US western interior. Here, ‘theater’ and ‘theatre’ are not used interchangeably: a ‘theatER’ is the same thing as a cinema–i.e., a movie theater–and doesn’t usually have a stage, whereas a ‘theatRE’ is a place where plays are performed, which always has a stage.


Lokesh Rangineni December 10, 2010 at 9:42 am

Use the word, trunk instead of dickey. i asked one of my friend to open car dickey and he laughed at me, instead he suggested me to use open car trunk..

Nice article, i came to know many words. I appreciate your good work.
Good going..


Kumar December 11, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Welcome Lokesh ! Glad it helped.


nvd October 1, 2010 at 9:37 am

One of my friend who couldn’t find curd at the grocery shop approached for help and asked them where is curd? They couldn’t understand as yogurt is the word used in US. He tried his best by saying plain curd, and they showed him playing card.


Kumar October 1, 2010 at 9:49 am

Very true…It is funny they showed playing card :)


Jane January 5, 2013 at 10:27 am

He might want to try “cottage cheese”, which is what “curd” is called where I’m from.


Princehuman August 28, 2013 at 1:27 pm

americans need to get a life and get their head out of their ass. Its high time americans come out of the “bubble” – the so called self created “personal space”


Krista August 9, 2010 at 8:19 am

Depending on where in the country you are soda = pop. Its a great debate, but Soda is more of a midwest thing.


Krista August 9, 2010 at 8:20 am

Also, Bubbler is known as a fountain or drinking fountain in most states…


DD August 9, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Yeah, never heard ‘bubbler’ before in the Northeast. It’s just called water fountain, drinking fountain or fountain here.


Kumar August 9, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Something more interesting for you, in Wisconsin and upper peninsula, people call ATMs as Tyme machines (pronounced as time machine). TYME means Take Your Money Everywhere.


Steph December 30, 2010 at 10:00 pm

That’s funny! Learn something new every day


Princehuman August 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm

yet another example of stupid low IQ people(americans) trying to “invent” a new language – trying to distort a proper language in to whatever the fuck shitty kind of personal abbreviation and/or antonyms they like.
ATM – automatic teller machine
ATM – any time money
ATM – all time money


Andrew September 25, 2013 at 4:06 pm

For what it’s worth, Princehuman, many dialects of American English are closer to the “original” English than British English is. I’m an MA student in Linguistics, and it’s a generally accepted fact among experts on both sides of the pond that American English pronunciation is actually closer to Shakespeare, for example, than British English pronunciation. (Notice that this is a British article, so it’s not just American propaganda.)

And while it’s true that there are a number of words that are different as well as pronunciation, the fact is that the English have invented and borrowed just as many new words as the Americans. Do you really want me to believe that the French word ‘aubergine’ is more “English” than ‘eggplant’? Or that ‘candy floss’ is somehow better than ‘cotton candy’? They’re just different.

Before you go spouting about linguistic purity, maybe you should research it a little so you don’t give away your own ignorance.


Steph December 30, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I live on the East Coast – Soda is an east coast thing, Pop is in the midwest :) Cool website, it was really interesting to browse around!


Kumar January 3, 2011 at 10:52 am

Thanks Steph !


R July 28, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Actually come to think of it a lot of your English translations are wrong.
I don’t mean to sound like a d*ck. Just trying to help.


Kumar July 28, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Rudd, I grew up in India and the meanings I have written based on my experience and not straight out of dictionary. Some of these meanings are very informal, which in fact might be different in UK. I am writing this from an International student perspective :)
Feel free to add your comments or any corrections, it is always good to know the right thing!


Steph December 30, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I’ve lived my whole life on the east coast, and I actually found this website quite accurate – only mistakes are that we definitely say Fridge (at least in Pennsylvania!) and I think bubbler is a British thing, we say water fountain. In the midwest they say pop instead of soda. Nail cutter will work just fine, and you’re right, rubber means something very different than a pencil eraser – it means a condom! So be careful there haha.

There are so many regional differences in dialects, I can’t even imagine trying to get them all down perfectly – I’ve lived in the US all my life and I definitely don’t know them all for every region of the US! Big place haha. Cool site, must be so helpful to people getting comfortable in America.


Kumar January 3, 2011 at 10:54 am

Yes Steph, its amazing to see many regional differences and usage of words…


R July 28, 2010 at 9:01 pm

A hotel in English English is a place where you stay the night.
A lot of English hotels have restaurants attatched


Nicole July 1, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Very nice article. :)
By the way, I’m American and I use “fridge” all the time. So do a lot of people I know. We either say “refridgerator, fridge, or frigerator”. Freezer only have one name and is part of the fridge but is where extra cold things go like ice cream, ice cube try (if you have one), frozen food items, etc. I’m sure you know this but I’m just making sure.
Anyway, thanks for this article, it was very interesting. I plan on going to England in the next couple years or so! thank you!

PS- to what part of the USA did you move?


Kumar July 1, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Wlecome Nicole ! I agree with you….at least in my experience interacting with people, I have noticed often people use refrigerator… anyways, I lived in Southern states and currently live in Midwest !


maychell June 29, 2010 at 1:41 am

thanks for this page… i got the answer in my assignment…;)


Kumar June 29, 2010 at 10:34 am

Really ? That’s cool. I am glad it helped !


Leave a Comment

Comments only, No Questions. We have a NEW Q & A Section.
Please ask your questions at Redbus2US Q & A Section
Please do NOT post questions here. Ask in Q & A Section
We have a NEW H1B Visa Tracker.
Please add your H1B Case info at H1B Visa Tracker!