Can you do PhD without Masters in US ? Directly PhD after B.Tech or B.S in USA ?
I have seen many students asking questions in forums about questions like :
- Can I do PhD without MS in USA ?
- Do I need to have Masters for Ph.D admission ?
- Can we apply for PhD right after B.tech or B.S ?
- Will I get PhD admission with full funding without MS or Masters?
- Do I need to take GRE and GMAT to apply for PhD program ?
I will try to address few questions related to PhD admissions in this article.
Directly Apply for PhD after B.Tech ? No MS or Masters for PhD Admission ?
Short answer, for the most part, YES you can, but there are always few exceptions! There is lot of confusing among students that you need to have Masters or have done MS for applying to PhD. But, the reality is it is in fact a good idea to apply for PhD directly after B.tech or Bachelors degree. I will explain the advantages. For now, you may check the below links of Universities for validation that you can apply for PhD without having Masters degree.
- Rutgers School of Arts and Science: Computer Science Phd Program Requirements
- Ohio State University : Grad Studies Ph.D Program requirements
- University of Oregon : Phd in Economics Admission requirements
What do Schools look for PhD Admission directly after B.Tech or B.S ?
In fact, getting into PhD can be very competitive just with Bachelors degree. Because you have not taken any advanced level classes or have not done any significant thesis or journal publications, there are few things that schools really look for. Few of these are listed below :
- Excellent GPA
- Good recommendation letters
- Very good GRE score. TOEFL is also required for international students.
- For international students, having Electives in the related research area in the final year of Bachelors or in general having advanced coursework in the research area.
- An outstanding Statement of Purpose (SOP) describing your research interests and future plans for research and professional goals.
- Subjective GRE Test related to your area. This is mandatory for some schools, but most schools recommend it. Having a good subjective GRE Test score proves that you are technically competent for PhD if you have no research experience.
- Research paper publications, Conference publications or any journal publications. If you have done any Technical projects with your professor or your final year project can also help.
Major in two research areas or extra course work related to Research area Advantages for PhD:
Some of you may be thinking about like, what a Major is ? I did not know until I got to US. Anyways, a Major is your concentration or focus of education in your Bachelors. One can have two major and it is called double major and if you have 3 majors then triple major…. You will need to take additional classes to get double or triple major. Now that you know what a major is, one of the additional important thing for PhD admission is, if you have technical knowledge in the form of an additional major or if you have taken extra classes that can help you with research for a particular PhD degree, you will have preference for PhD admission. Let me explain with an example. Let’s say you are applying for PhD in Economics. If you do not know, PhD in Economics has lot of Mathematics involved and they expect you to have significant coursework or knowledge with Advanced Mathematics. Imagine you have a Bachelors degree with Mathematics and Economics Majors, then you have higher chances of admission. Because, you have Mathematics in addition to just having Economics that is helpful for PhD admission. The committee judges you based on your Economics and Mathematical capabilities.
Image Credit : http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamthebestartist/372415952/
Do you like the article ?
Like and Give Google +1 for this Article :